Become a part of a diverse network of leaders working to make Ventura County even better
The application process for the 2021/2022 (Cohort XXVII) Ventura County Leadership Academy will begin again in February 2021.
There is a $25 application fee and all applications are due by Friday, May 15th at 5:00pm.
Interviews are held in June of 2021. Once accepted into the VCLA program, a tution of $1,800 is due. Additional costs for the Sacramento sessions in February will be required.
Once accepted into the program, you will be required to participate in an immersion activity in Ventura County. Preferably, whatever you choose should be outside your normal wheelhouse. A partial list of ideas and suggestions are below. You are welcome and encouraged to design your own activity, should you chose:
- Camp out or Day Excursion at one of the Channel Islands
- Shadow the CEO of a Non-Profit (such as United Way, Food Share or other)
- Ride-along with Sheriff or Police (City or County), Fire Department, or Emergency Service Responders office, Channel Islands Harbor Water Patrol, State Parks Officer, Ranger or Lifeguard or shadow a National Parks Ranger
- Shadow a local elected official (city, county, state, or municipality)
- Shadow the CEO, City Manager or Director at a city or county agency (County of Ventura, Ventura County Transportation Commission, Public or Behavioral Health)
- Take a tour of a jail or hospital
- Volunteer in the field office of a local legislator
- Shadow a local farmer and tour their grounds
Curriculum subjects include, but are not limited to: public safety, social services & healthcare, local government & the legislative process, education, transportation, housing, water & agriculture, economics, and arts and culture.
2020-2021 Cohort XXVI Curriculum Dates
Cohort Mixer - September 3, 2020 (Thursday evening)
First Session - September 11, 2020
Second Session - October 9, 2020
Third Session - November 13, 2020
Fourth Session - December 3, 2020 (Thursday)
Fifth Session - January 8, 2021
Sixth Session - February 5, 2021
Seventh Session - Sacramento – February 21-February 23, 2021 (Sun-Tues)
Eighth Session - March 19, 2021
Ninth Session - April 9, 2021
Tenth Session - May 7, 2021
Graduation - May 13, 2021 (Thu - evening)