Become a part of a diverse network of leaders working to make Ventura County even better
The application process for the 2021/2022 (Cohort XXVII) Ventura County Leadership Academy will begin again in February 2021.
There is a $25 application fee and all applications are due by Friday, May 14th at 5:00pm.
Interviews are held in June of 2021. Once accepted into the VCLA program, a tution of $2,000 is due. Additional costs for the Sacramento sessions in February will be required.
What can you expect from participating in VCLA?
- Ten focus sessions, including a trip to Sacramento. Topics may include (but not limited to):
- Public Safety
- Social Services & Healthcare
- Local Government & the Legislative Process
- Housing & Transportation
- Water & Agriculture
- Arts & Culture
- Leadership Training
- Community Explorations - Cohorts are divided into small groups & assigned a community to explore, then report back to the full Cohort
- Immersion Activity
- Get Togethers with Cohort and Alumni – optional monthly happy hours and annual mixers
- Cohort Ice-Breakers and Community Building - get to know your fellow Cohort members
- Graduation Ceremony - Attended by family, friends, alumni with certificates of commendation on behalf of VCLA and numerous elected officials
What is expected from you?
- Attendance - We have a strict attendance policy. You are allowed 2 absences (including graduation and half days) throughout the program. Should you miss a combined total of more than 2 sessions, you will not graduate with your cohort. Any absences should be communicated in advance (if possible) to the VCLA Director. Please communicate and coordinate in advance with your employer and/or consider any other obligations you may have that may affect your participation.
- Engagement with other Cohort members. Previous alumni have gone on to organize service projects or volunteer together as a team
- Participation at monthly focus sessions – Use the VCLA introduction, discuss & ask questions of presenters, and be present in session exercises and group activities
- Immersion in Ventura County - Completion of an immersion activity
Cohort XXVII Dates (2021-2022)
Cohort Connection – September 8th, 2021 (via Zoom)
Cohort Mixer - September 9, 2021 (Thurs eve) (does not count for overall attendance)
First Session - September 17, 2021
Second Session - October 7, 2021 (Thurs)
Third Session - November 12, 2021
Fourth Session - December 3, 2021
Fifth Session - January 7, 2022
Sixth Session - February 4, 2022
Seventh Session - Sacramento – February 20-22, 2022 (Sun-Tues)
Eighth Session - March 18, 2022
Ninth Session - April 8, 2022
Tenth Session - May 6, 2022
Graduation - May 12, 2022 (Thurs eve)