Become a part of a diverse network of leaders, working to make Ventura County even better!
Cohort XXVIII Dates (2022-2023)
- First Session - September 16, 2022
- Second Session - October 6, 2022 (Thurs)
- Third Session - November 4, 2022
- Fourth Session - December 2, 2022
- Fifth Session - January 6, 2023
- Sixth Session - February 3, 2023
- Seventh Session - Sacramento – February 26- 28, 2023 (Sun-Tues)
- Eighth Session - March 10, 2023
- Ninth Session - April 14, 2023
- Tenth Session - May 12, 2023
- Graduation - May 18, 2023 (Thurs eve)
Ventura County Leadership Academy connects and cultivates a diverse network of passionate, capable leaders through an immersion in both critical issues shaping Ventura County and opportunities for personal and professional growth. VCLA’s comprehensive program ignites awareness and inspiration, helping cohort members discover their individual pathway toward impacting our region.
Specific objectives of Ventura County Leadership Academy are:
a leadership development program incorporating, business, social services, education, community, government, and cultural issues throughout Ventura County;
the awareness, understanding and appreciation of a variety of critical issues affecting life in Ventura County, through contacts with community leaders, and participation in workshops, field studies, and related programs.
the inclusion of diverse groups of individuals;
What to Expect as a VCLA Participant
A unique and engaging experience, Ventura County Leadership Academy brings an unmatched depth of knowledge and local leadership perspective. This program includes:
- Ten Focus Sessions
Topics such as public safety, social services & healthcare, local government & the legislative process, education, housing & transportation, water & agriculture, economics, arts & culture, environment, infrastructure, and more.
- Cohort Ice-Breakers and Community Building
Get to know your fellow Cohort members
- Leadership Training
- Community Explorations
Cohorts are divided into small groups and assigned a community to explore
- Trip to Sacramento
- Get Togethers with Cohort and Alumni
Optional monthly happy hours and annual mixers
- Graduation Ceremony
Including certificates of commendation on behalf of VCLA and numerous elected officials
What is expected of you?
Each person who participates in the VCLA brings unique and valuable knowledge, skills, and experience to discussions about our community. With that in mind, during the time you spend in VCLA sessions, we ask that you:
- Participate at monthly focus sessions – Be present and engage in active listening, and consider ideas from different perspectives. Be open to your blind spots and mindful of the intersectionality of privilege and disadvantage. Discuss & ask questions of presenters utilizing the "VCLA introduction", and approach challenges from a place of curiosity.
- Attendance - Honor time commitments. Each VCLA session is packed with opportunities to learn, engage with our speakers and cohort members. Because of this, VCLA limits the number of absences to two (2) sessions throughout the program. Please refer to the session dates before you apply, as should you miss a combined total of more than two sessions, you will not graduate with your cohort.
- Engage with other cohort members throughout the year. Previous alumni have gone on to organize service projects or volunteer together as a team.
There is a $25 application fee and all applications are due by Friday, May 13th at 5:00 pm. Interviews are held in June of 2022. Once accepted into the VCLA program, a tuition of $2,000 is due. Additional costs for the Sacramento sessions in February will be required.